A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler's passport.

Having a U.S. visa allows you to travel to a port of entry, airport or land border crossing, and request permission from a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspector to enter the U.S. While having a visa does not automatically guarantee entry to the U.S., it does indicate a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad has determined you are eligible to seek entry for that specific purpose. CBP inspectors, guardians of the nation's borders, are responsible for admission of travelers to the U.S., for a specified status and period of time. CBP is managed by the Department of Homeland Security, (DHS) who also has responsibility for immigration matters while you are present in the U.S.

To determine which visa you will need, you should reference the directory of visa categories. Most of our international students and scholars have a F or J visa, respectively. After determining which visa you will need, follow the appropriate steps to apply for a visa. To learn more about different visa types, please visit the Popular Visa Categories page. You can also find relevant forms that you may need to submit to Wayne State University's Office of International Students and Scholars on the Immigration and Visa Forms page.

If you have any questions about the visa process, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of International Students and Scholars for further assistance.