As a student with an F-1 visa, you can work on campus for up to 20 hours a week during the regular school year. When school is not in session, you can work on campus full-time.


To be eligible for a student assistant position, undergraduate students must carry at least 12 credit hours in fall and winter and graduate students must carry at least eight credit hours in fall and winter.  

Check the federal guidelines for student employment from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement site before you begin looking for employment. 

On-Campus Jobs

On-campus student jobs are posted on the Career Services site. Career Services offers many resources to international students that you can review onlinePlease note: you must request approval from OISS through the On-Campus Work Portal before you are authorized to work on-campus

Off-Campus Jobs

Once you've been in lawful F-1 status for two semesters, you can apply for off-campus work. Please note: you must get approval from OISS before you are authorized to work off-campus. You can explore the Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, OPT Extension for STEM, and Economic Hardship webpages for more information.

Social Security Number

Once you have secured a job, you must apply for a Social Security Number.