Once you're in the U.S., you'll need to open a checking account at a local bank or credit union. Having a bank account will make it much easier for you to conduct your financial business. For example, if you are employed, you can have your paycheck deposited directly to your account, and you will use checks to pay bills such as rent or utilities.

You can bank wherever it is most convenient for you.

Campus Options

Chase Bank

  • Address: 5057 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48202 (This bank is located inside the Maccabees Building).
  • Phone: 313-833-1900

Community Financial Credit Union

  • Address: 5221 Gullen Mall, Detroit, MI 48202 (This credit union is located on the first floor of the Student Center Building across from Midtown Market).

Michigan First Credit Union 

  • Address: 5057 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48202 (This credit union is located inside the Maccabees Building).
  • Phone: 313-345-7200

Opening an account

When you open an account with a bank you will need:

  • Two forms of photo identification such as your passport, driver's license, birth certificate or WSU OneCard
  • Proof of your U.S. address (for example, a copy of your lease or a utility bill)
  • Money for an opening deposit

Requirements can vary between banking institutions, so contact your bank to determine what they will need from you. 

You do not need a social security number to open a bank account. If your bank asks for a social security number and you do not have or need one, fill out Internal Revenue Service W-8 BEN form, which will prove to the bank that you are exempt from this requirement. The form is available at banks, and there is no charge for it.

You can learn more about banking in the International Student Handbook.