Many international scholars are joined by their families during their time in the United States. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 may accompany you to the U.S. as dependents.

Applying for a dependent visa

To apply for a dependent visa, such as J-2, H-4, O-3 or E-3D at a U.S. consulate, your dependent(s) should have:

    •  A valid passport
    • Proof of adequate funds to cover all expenses while in the United States, such as bank statements or affidavits of support
    • For J-2 dependents, valid form DS-2019 for J-1 and J-2(s)
    • For H-4, E-3D and O-3, original I-797 approval notice verifying their current immigration status as H-1B or O-1
    • Proof of your relationship, such as marriage certificate and/or birth certificates

Keep in mind that, in some cases, dependents are not allowed to work in the U.S. Check in with your OISS advisor to determine whether your dependents are authorized to work in the U.S. while they are here, and visit the OISS Dependent Employment page for more information.

Canadian citizens

If you have a TN visa and are a Canadian citizen, your dependents can simply go to a port of entry to apply for TD status. They must show proof of identity, your immigration documents, and proof of your relationship.