Funding your program

By planning well in advance, study abroad can be an affordable opportunity for most Wayne State students.  

After deciding on a program, determine your expected costs and look at your budget. You'll have to pay the tuition for the program and additional expenses. Some program fees are all-inclusive, meaning that your airfare, lodging and other transportation costs are calculated into the total cost of the program, and others are not. For example, you may have to make your own flight arrangements to a location to begin your program. A Study Abroad advisor can help you estimate costs for your particular program. 

Securing funding for your program is one of the most important facets of your planning process. Funding may include personal savings, financial aid, grants and private/departmental scholarships. 

You can use financial aid to pay for your study abroad program. If you want to use federal financial aid funding for study abroad, you must have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid on file with WSU for the current academic year. Some academic departments also have funding available to support study abroad. Begin your research early and apply for these opportunities on your own. You can view the WSU private scholarships online.  Additionally, there are organizations outside of WSU that offer scholarships dedicated to study abroad funding. If you earn any of these award, be sure to visit WSU's scholarship site to learn more about how to report outside scholarships.

Check out these Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions about study abroad funding.

If you are participating on a program outside of WSU, you should use the Study Abroad Financial Aid Checklist to make sure you take all the necessary steps to use financial aid to fund your study abroad experience. 

Federal Financial Aid

The following types of federal funding can be used to pay for Study Abroad costs, as long as the program is for credit and the host school is eligible to participate in federal aid programs.

Financial aid for a Study Abroad program must be obtained at the home institution (Wayne State University) and requires a consortium agreement between WSU and the host institution before any financial assistance is awarded.

Make sure that you fill out a FAFSA if you are interested in receiving federal funding. If you have already received financial aid through the WSU Office of Financial Aid, and then decide to participate in a program, in some cases, the amount of aid you can receive will be increased. Contact us to discuss your options for using financial aid for study abroad.

Private Funding Sources

There are also many study abroad scholarships and grants you can apply for that come from sources outside of the university. We recommend that you begin researching funding opportunities well in advance of your trip. Some resources that you can use to find additional study abroad funding opportunities include:

The following list includes some specific scholarships and grants that we are aware of that could help you secure additional funding for your study abroad trip. While this list is not exhaustive, we encourage you to explore the following options to determine if you are eligible for any of the following opportunities:

2018 ThinkSwiss Research Scholarship

  • Undergraduate and graduate students interested in conducting research at a public Swiss university or research institute for 2 to 3 months can apply for the ThinkSwiss research scholarship. This program provides a monthly scholarship of CHF 1,600 (approximately 1,650 U.S. dollars) for a period of 2 to 3 months (CHF 4,800 maximum), which covers the majority of the average student's living costs. The scholarship is open to students of all fields. For more information about this program visit

American Association of University Women

  • The American Assosciate of University Women offers the largest source of funding exclusively for graduate women. More information can be found at

The American-Scandinavian Foundation

The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

  • This program is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE). Through this scholarship program, U.S. undergraduate students can apply to receive financial support for study abroad programs worldwide. The scholarship provides up to $5000 for American students to pursue overseas study for college credit. You must currently be receiving a Federal Pell Grant and be at least 28 consecutive days in length in one country to qualify. For an application and additional information, check the IIE website at

Blakemore Asian Language Fellowships for Advanced Asian Language Study Grant

  • Blakemore Freeman Fellowships are awarded for one academic year of full-time, intensive language study of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Khmer or Burmese at the advanced level in approved language programs in East or Southeast Asia. To be elgible, you must have an undergraduate degree. For more information, please visit the Foundations website:

The Bridging Scholarship Program

  • The US-Japan Bridging Foundation awards scholarships to U.S. undergraduate students to study for one semester or one academic year in Japan.  The foundation aims to expand the opportunities for study abroad in Japan to help prepare America's young people to assume future global leadership roles.  Students must be accepted in a program in Japan and provide the tuition for the program.  Bridging Scholars are chosen by a volunteer committee and awarded scholarships of up to $5,000 for the academic year, which provide for travel and daily cost-of-living expenses. For more information, visit

Bridging Scholars and Morgan Stanley

  • This scholarship will be awarded to two U.S. undergraduates who have an interest in economics and international finance and who have been accepted for study in Japan for the academic year. Winners of the Morgan Stanley Japan Scholarships are awarded scholarships of $7,500 to help finance their studies.  For more information, visit

British Council Scholarship


Foundation for Global Scholars

  • The Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) invests in promising students with financial need who wish to study abroad. Potential applicants who meet the eligibility requirements may participate in any international education program that meets their academic objectives. For additional information about this scholarship and the application process, please visit

Freeman Asia Scholarship

  • The Freeman-ASIA program is designed to support U.S.-based undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who are planning to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. The program's goal is to increase the number of U.S. citizens and permanent residents with first-hand exposure to, and an understanding of, Asia and its peoples and cultures. Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. More information can be found at

Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program

  • The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students to conduct research in other countries in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of 6 to 12 months. Proposals focusing on Western Europe are not eligible. For more information, visit

Fulbright Student Scholarship Program

  • The U.S. Student Fulbright Program was created to give recent graduates, professionals, and artists who hold a Bachelor's degree with opportunities for personal development and international experience. Projects are self-designed and may include university coursework, independent library or field research, classes in music conservatory or art school, special projects in the social or life sciences, or a combination. More information can be found at

Fund for Education Abroad

  • The mission of the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students with financial need who are underrepresented among the U.S. study-abroad population. FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting students of color, community college, and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs. For more information please visit:

German Academic Exchange Service DAAD

  • The German Academic Exchange Service DAAD offers programs and funding for students, faculty, researchers and others in higher education. Their website has a database of scholarships for students looking to study in Germany. For more information please visit

GO! Overseas Study Abroad Scholarship

  • This organization awards up to $1,000 to students participating in a study abroad program. The scholarships are awarded based on the creativity and analysis of writing or video submissions. For more information, visit

GO! Volunteer Abroad Scholarship

  • This scholarship is offered to students planning to volunteer abroad. The applicant must submit a writing sample of video submission. The scholarship award is $1,000. For more information about the scholarship and application instructions, visit

Harry S. Truman Scholarship

Hostelling Internationational USA Michigan Council Gerald Pearsall Memorial Travel Award

  • The award will be given to a student who will appreciate the exploration of their own heritage and understanding of others, through the dialogue and education that comes through hostelling and traveling abroad. Download an application and submit your completed application to

International Education Financial Aid

  • International Education Financial Aid (IEFA) provides a comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist students in their pursuit of study abroad. For more information, visit

Italian Consulate of Detroit Scholarship

  • The Italian Consulate of Detroit invites students who are majoring or minoring in Italian Language who are planning to participate in the Wayne in Abruzzo Program to apply for an award. The awards range from $500 to $1,000 depending on the quality of application. You can find more information, as well as the scholarship application, here.

Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Scholarship

  • The scholarship is awarded to students who pursue Italian language and culture courses or conduct research projects in Italy. More information about the scholarship, as well as the scholarship application, can be found here.

June Jordan Fund

  • The June Jordan Fund is open to all Black women who have been accepted to a study abroad program. This scholarship program is focused on making study abroad experiences more accessible to historically marginalized communities within higher education. As such, commuter students, non-traditional students, and students with a GPA under 3.0 are especially encouraged to apply.

The Midwest Regional Center of the Institute of International Education

  • The Midwest Regional Center of the Institute of International Education (IIE) offers scholarships to undergraduate students who are currently enrolled at a Midwest college or university that is a member of the IIE Network. In order to be eligible, students must receive credit for their studies abroad and this credit must be applied to the completion of an undergraduate degree. For further information, contact the IIE Midwest Regional Center at 312-644-1400.

NAFSA (National Association of Foreign Student Advisers) 

National Italian American Foundation Scholarship

  • The NIAF annually awards scholarships to students who fall into one of the two categories. The first category of scholarship is given to students who are Italian American heritage who demonstrate outstanding potential and high academic achievements in any area of study. The second category scholarships are given to any student who is majoring or minoring in Italian language, Italian studies, Italian American studies or related field, who demonstrates outstanding potential and high academic achievements. Scholarships award range from $2,000 to $12,000. Students must either be a member of NIAF or have a parent or guardian who is a member to be eligible. More information can be found at

The National Security Educational Program (NSEP)

  • Also called the David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarship, NSEP Scholarships are intended to provide support to U.S. undergraduates who will pursue the study of languages and cultures underrepresented in study abroad and critical to U.S. national security. NSEP Scholarships can be applied to study abroad in all countries, except Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Contact the Study Abroad Programs Office via e-mail at for additional information. More information can also be found at

Rhodes Scholarship

  • This scholarship is awarded to individuals from the United States for a two-year study program at Oxford University. Rhodes Scholars are not only chosen for their academic background but their demonstrated participation in making society better. Applicants are chosen from various fields of study and must have completed at least two years of college and a bachelor's degree before October 1 of the year of application. For more information, please visit

Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship

  • This organization has a yearly nationwide competition for high school, undergraduate, and graduate students for grants up to $19,000 for students who wish to directly enroll in an overseas university. The purpose of the Ambassadorial Scholarship Program is to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries. The application deadline is usually in the early fall of the year preceding the year that you will study abroad. Check the Rotary Foundation website at for more information.

The Social Science Research Council (SSRC)

  • The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit, international association devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences. For more information about their scholarship opportunities, please visit

Toronto Rehabilitation Institute

  • Toronto Rehab co-sponsors or administers a variety of education funding opportunities for students and staff pursuing further education in rehabilitation and complex continuing care. Please visit for more information about their scholarship opportunities.

Transatlantic Fellowship Program

  • Formally the Resident Fellows program of the German Marshall Fund, the Transatlantic Fellowship Program selects individuals from varied professional policy backgrounds with a demonstrated track record of thinking outside the box in approaching transatlantic relations and professional policy. Transatlantic Fellows are offered support in the form of sabbaticals of one year or less to pursue research or policy projects in transatlantic issues. Interested individuals are encouraged to check the website at for more information.

Yokohama National University JOY Program

  • The International Student Center started the JOY Program for students from partner universities outside Japan to give them the opportunity to experience Japanese university life for up to a year. Students must be proficient in English or Japanese and can study a range of disciplines. For additional information, including the application process and deadlines, please visit