Visas and passports


If you are traveling outside of the U.S., you'll need a passport to enter another country and to re-enter the U.S. Many countries require that your passport be valid for six months after your travel is completed. If you are using your current passport, and it will expire in the same year as you are traveling, we strongly recommend that you renew it as soon as you decide to study abroad. 

Applying for a Passport

New passports can take up to three months to process and deliver, so apply early. You can pay an additional $60 fee to expedite your application, but if you plan well in advance, that won't be necessary. Passports cost $130 for the application to be processed, and an additional $35 Execution Fee that is paid to the facility where you make your application, for a total of $165. These fees are nonrefundable, even if a passport isn't issued. You can submit your passport application at some post offices, federal courts and other municipal offices. You can find the acceptance location nearest to you by using the U.S. Department of State search tool.  

After you get your passport, check it for errors and sign it. Make a copy of the information page and submit it in the application portal, which will help in expediting a new passport if something happens to yours while you are overseas. 

Further instructions on how to apply for, or renew, a passport, are on the U.S. Department of State website.  

Passport Photos

You'll need to submit two identical passport photos with your application. If you are participating in a Wayne State study abroad trip, the cost of a set of photos is included in your program fee. You can have photos taken at a variety of drug stores and auto clubs such as Walgreens or AAA.  


Sometimes travelers are required to obtain a visa to enter and remain in a country. A visa is an entry permit granted by the government in your destination country. It is usually a stamp entered into your passport in advance of your travels. Some countries require certain immunizations that must be acquired before a visa will be issued.  

If you are going on a Wayne State study abroad program, our office will help you obtain a visa if one is needed. 

You can review the visa information for American citizens at the U.S. Department of State Country Information site.

Visas for citizens of other countries 

If you are a U.S. resident but hold a passport from another country, visa regulations may be different for you, so make sure to check with your host country's consulate or embassy to determine the specific requirements for your situation.  

The Delta Airlines site offers useful information for citizens of all countries.